|Sanchayita Paul Chakraborty
M.A in English Literature in 2011,
University of Gour Banga. She was awarded the Gold Medal for being First Class First.
- B. A. with English Honours in 2007,
University of North Bengal .
SPECIAL ACDEMIC QUALIFICATION
She completed One Year Language Certificate Course in Spanish from Jadavpur University with First Class in 2009.
Women's College Road,
|TEACHING EXPERIENCE||Guest Lecturer School of Humanities Netaji Subhas Open University West Bengal, India November 2016- May 2018. Guest Lecturer Department of English Distance Education Study Centre, Raiganj Surendranath Mahavidyalaya Rabindra Bharati Un|
American Literature, Indian Literature in English, Women's Studies.
|AREA OF RESEARCH|
Bengali Women’s Writings in Colonial Bengal.
|AREA OF INTEREST|
Cultural Studies, Feminist Theory, Women’s Studies and Postcolonial Studies.
Book & Edited Journal
- She wrote a book on Ananyader Akhyan: Bhabna- Karme Bangali Nari (The Tale of Pioneering Women: Bengali Women in Thoughts and Works), 2018, Gangchil: Kolkata.
- She co-edited the special issue, ‘The New Women: Then and Now’ of the journal Café Dissensus, published in 2018.
MAJOR CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
- Her essay ‘The Caged Phoenix? Politics of Affection and Identity for Women Medics in Colonial Bengal’ is a part of the book, Imperial Maladies: Literatures on Healthcare and Psychoanalysis in India published by Nova Press, New York in 2017.
- A chapter titled, ‘Spousal Friendship, Empowerment and the Third Alternative : The Subjection of Women in Retrospect’ is published in the book, DE-CODING THE SILENCE! Reading John Stuart Mill’s The Subjection of Women published by AADI Publications, Jaipur, India in 2015.
- A chapter titled, ‘Women and Development: Revisiting the Towards Equality Report’ is published in the book, Dynamics of Development and Discontent published by Bookwell, New Delhi, India in 2015.
- A chapter titled ‘Claustrophobia to Creativity: A Reading of Yellow Wallpaper’ is published in the book Reading Literature through Feminist Lens: Theory and Praxis published by Author Press, New Delhi, India in 2015.
- A chapter titled ‘Eastwords, Postcolonialism and the Politics of Adaptation: towards Forming a New Praxis’ in Postcolonial Approaches to Literature: Text, Context, Theory, published by Author Press, New Delhi, India in 2015.
- Book chapter, in the book Different Americas: Resituating American Identity in the post 9/11 Third Worldian Classroom, published by Authors Press, New Delhi in 2014.
PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- ‘Bengali Women’s Writings in the Colonial Period: Critique of Nation, Narration and Patriarchy’ –an article published in the International Journal Zeitschrift fur Anglistik und Amerikanistik : A Quarterly of Language, Literature and Culture Volume 66, Issue 1, published by De Gruyter, Germany in 2018.
- ‘Crossing the Threshold: Women in Colonial City Space’ – an article published in Sanglap: Journal of Literary and Cultural Inquiry, Volume 3, Number 2 in 2017.
- ‘‘Parinay’ to ‘Paradhinata’: The Trauma of Marriage as Bondage in the Bengali Women’s Writings in the Colonial Period’ is published in Middle Flight: A Peer-reviewed Journal of English Literature, Volume 7, Number 1, ISSN 2319-7684 in 2019.
- ‘Intervention into Indian Gender Studies: Remembering Sukumari Bhattacharji and Jasodhara Bagchi’ is published in Kairos, the Journal of Critical Symposium, Volume 1, Number 1, January 2016.
- ‘The Pride of Colonial presence and the Prejudiced Hangover: Jane Austen Back in India’ , is published in Middle Flight: A Peer-reviewed Journal of English Literature, Volume 5, Number 1, Special Volume on ‘The Wonderful Year 1816- A Bicentenary Appraisal’, November 2016.
- The Necessity of the Female Subject and the Possibility of Its Destabilisation’, International Journal of Language, Literature and Humanities, Volume III, Issue V, July 2015.
- ‘A New Agonism in the Emergent Gender Dis-utopia’, International Journal of English: Literature, Language and Skills, Volume 4, Issue 2, July 2015.
- ‘Contestations and Compliance: Retrieving Women’s Agency in Patriarchal Discourses’ is published in Gour Mahavidyalaya Journal of Humanities and Social Science, Volume-1, Issue 1, November 2015.
- ‘Resistance through Theatrical Communication: Two Women’s Texts and a Critique of Violence’, Global Media Journal-Indian Edition, University of Calcutta, Winter Issue/December 2013/Vol.4/No. 2.
- ‘Revisiting the ‘Karachi Resolution’: The Genealogy of Reintroducing Capital Punishment in India’ is published in Caffe Dissensus ,June, 2013.
- An article titled, ‘Under the Eastern Eyes: Recolonisation and Debating the Women Question in the Academia’ is published in The Criterion, Vol-3, Issue-3, September, 2012.
- She has translated essays by Nagendrabala Mustafi and another anonymous woman writer which are published in Ipshita Chanda and Jayeeta Bagchi edited Shaping the Discourse: Women’s Writings in Bengali Periodicals 1865-1947. Stree and School of Women’s Studies, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 2014.
- She is translating the Bengali entries into English of Nrisinha Prasad Bhaduri’s Purankosh, (An Encyclopedic Dictionary of Mahabharata, Ramayana and Puranas), Sahitya Sansad, Kolkata and the translations are being uploaded in the website www.purankosh.in.
- Her translations of Marcel Proust’s short stories, ‘Before the Night’ and ‘Another Memory’ are published in the journal Ebong Mushayera, Kolkata, 2019.
- She has translated parts of Lodha –Sabar Charita as a part of the SAP, DRS project of Vidyasagar University in 2018.
- Her translations of Bimalkrishna Matilal’s essay ‘Sri Ramakrishna: Simplicity with Profundity’, is published in the book Sriramakrishna- Parichintan by Rabindrakumar Dasgupta and Bimalkrishna Matilal, Sutradhar, Kolkata, 2018.
- Her translations of Swami Gambhirananda’s writings are published as a book, Dharma: Bichar-Abichar, by Swami Gambhirananda, Sutradhar, Kolkata, 2018.
- She has translated essays of Swami Atmasthananda which is published as a book, Smriti-Sampad by Swami Atmasthananda, Sutradhar, Kolkata, 2018.
She has been assigned to review books in international Journals such as
Journal of Colonialism and Colonial History,
Following are some of the published reviews and forthcoming reviews
- ‘Lineages of Patriarchy and Gender Consciousness in the Indian Dharmasastras’-a review article published in the international journal Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and Pacific, Issue-36, September 2014.
- Review of The Unsafe Sex: The Female Binary and Public Violence against Women: Nalini Natarajan, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2016, 200pp., ISBN: 978-0-1994-6310-7, $47.50 (Hbk) published in Feminist Review in 2018.
- Review of Contestation and Compliance: Retrieving Women's 'Agency' from Puranic Traditions, accepted for publication in Women’s History Review, Routledge.
|SEMINAR & SYMPOSIA|
- Attended Winter School, On Critical Thinking, Reading and Writing Skills, organized by AICTE and Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur in 2010.
- Participated in the ICPR Workshop on Dialogic Encounter between Contemporary Western Episteme and Indian Philosophy organized by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur in 2016.
- She took part in the AICTE-QIP course on Cultures of Un-Desiring: The Language of Postcolonial Agency and The Global Capital organized by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur in 2017.
- She participated in the workshop organized by Global South, SEPHIS at Jadavpur University, India, 2013. The title of the Workshop was Comparative Gesture.
RECENT MAJOR PAPERS IN INTERNATIONAL AND NATIONAL CONFERENCES (2012-2018)
- “Strategic Silence in Colonial Domesticity: A Study of Selected Bengali Women’s Essays” – paper presented in the International Conference, ‘Talk and Silence: Language in Colonial Contexts’ at the American University in Cairo held from 28th February to 1st March, 2018 in Egypt.
- “Bengali Women’s Writings in the Colonial Period: Critique of Nation, Narration and Patriarchy”-paper presented in the International conference ‘Voices of Their Own: South Asian Women’s Writing’, held at Technische Universitat Chemnitz, Germany in 2015.
- “Thinking ‘New Womanhood’ across Continents: Comparative Studies of Women’s Writing in Victorian England and Colonial Bengal”- paper presented in the International Conference, ‘Thinking Across Continents’ held at The Department of English, University of North Bengal from 24thMarch to 25th March, 2017.
- “ Voicing Psychoanalysis and Medicinal Discourse: Studies in Women’s Writing in Colonial India” –paper presented at the UGC Sponsored One Day National Level Seminar on ‘ Literature, Medicine and Psychoanalysis in Colonial and Postcolonial India organized by Department of English and Bengali, Chandrakona Vidyasagar Mahavidyalaya, Paschim Medinipur on 22nd September, 2016.
- “A Space of One’s Own: Woman, Survival and Retrospective Relocation in Agunpakhi and Dayamoyeer Katha in Translations”-paper presented in the UGC Sponsored International Seminar( under the DRS SAP programme) on ‘Reconstructing the English Literary Map: Literatures of Partition and Diaspora from Asia and the Asia Pacific’ organized by the Department of English and Cultural Studies, The University of Burdwan, held on 10-11 March, 2016.
- ‘ Viewing through the Castiest Lens: Brahminical Patriarchy and Women’s Agency in the Hindu Nation’-a paper presented in the Three Day Conference on “Examining Intersections: Caste/Gender Narratives in India”, organized by the Institute of Development Studies Kolkata and sponsored by the Indian Council of Social Science Research, held between February 8-10, 2016.
- ‘‘Parinay’ to ‘Paradhin’: the Trauma of Marriage as Bondage in the Bengali Women’s Writings in the Colonial Period’-a paper presented at the Two Day International Seminar on “Exploring Trauma: Interdisciplinary Perspectives” on January 28-29, 2016, organized by Department of English, University of Gour Banga and The British Council.
- ‘The Pride of Colonial Presence and the Prejudiced Hangover: Jane Austen Back in India’- a paper presented in the College Level Seminar-Workshop on “Redefining the Concept of ‘Post’ in Postcolonialism” organized by Post-graduate Department of English, Malda College on 24th-25th June, 2016.
- “Recasting a Vedic Eye: Ecology, Sustainability and Women in India”-a paper presented in the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on ‘Women in 21st Century: Livelihood, Environment and Sustainability’ organized by Centre for Women’s Studies, University of North Bengal in 2015.
- “Questing for an Alternative Folk cultural Tradition: A Study of Women’s Folklores”- a paper presented in the National Seminar ‘Different Horizons of Lokosangskriti’, organized by Raiganj Surendranath Mahavidyalaya and Folklore Congress Association of India in 2015.
- “The Specter of ‘Good Woman’ in Hindu Society: Reconfiguring the Women Question in Contemporary India”-a paper presented in the College Level Seminar-Workshop on ‘Addressing Gender Discrimination and Initiating Women Empowerment’, organized by Post Graduate Department of English, Malda College in 2015.
- “Retracing the Lineages of Hindu Women in India: Bengali Women’s Writing in the Colonial Period” –a paper presented in One Day National Seminar on ‘Status of Women in Indian Society’, organized by the Centre of Women’s Studies, University of Kalyani in 2015.
- She participated in a State-Level Convention on ‘To Kill or Not to Kill? Rethinking Capital Punishment, Governance and Justice’, organized by- IQAC, Department of English and Philosophy, Raiganj Surendranath Mahavidyalaya in 2015.
- “Calibanising English: The Master Signifier Lending Hands to the Peripheral Voice”-paper presented in the National Young Researchers’ Conference on ‘Discursifying English: Contemporary Cultures, Contemporary Concerns” held under the UGC SAP (DRS-II) at Centre for English Studies, School of Language, Literature and Cultural Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi in 2013.
- “Mattering Literature through Evental Reading”-paper presented in the UGC Sponsored International Seminar ‘Does Literature Matter?’ organized by Department of English, North Bengal University in 2013.
- “Women and Development: Revisiting the Towards Equality Report”- a paper presented in the UGC Sponsored National Seminar in the Department of Political Science, organized by Tufangang Mahavidyalaya in 2013. It was published as the book chapter in 2014.
- She participated in the International Conference on ‘Feminist Inscriptions in Social Theory’ organized by Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta in collaboration with ICSSR and ICPR in Kolkata in 2013.
- “ A New Agonism in the Emergent Gender Dis-utopia”- a paper presented in the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on ‘Dreamscapes’ organized by Department of English, North Bengal University in 2013.
- “Re-reading the Idea of Future Politics in India: A Subalternist Rejoinder”- a paper presented in the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on ‘Reading’ organized by Department of English, North Bengal University in 2012.
- “Women Khap Panchayat –Subversion or Perpetuation of Patriarchal Politics?”- a paper presented in the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on ‘Issues on Rural Livelihood in India’ organized by Department of Geography, Gour Mahavidyalaya, Malda in 2012.
- “A New Struggle in the Wake of Trauma: Resituating the Polyphonic Feminism(s) in the Post 9/11 America”-a paper presented in the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on ‘Different Americas: Resituating American Identity in the Post 9/11 Classroom’ organized by Department of English, Gour Mahavidyalaya in collaboration with Malda Women’s College, Malda, West Bengal in 2011. It is published as the book chapter in 2014.
- “Under the Eastern Eyes: Woman Question in Academia”-a paper presented in the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on ‘Contesting Pedagogies and Recolonisation: Strategies of Pedagogic Reformulations and Academic Activism’ organized by Department of English, Malda Women’s College in collaboration with Malda College, Malda, West Bengal in 2011.
- “The Romance of FM Radio and Orkutopia: the Metamorphic Transcendence to Socio-political ‘Nirvana’ “-a paper presented in the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on ‘Popular Culture, Media and Literature: Genres, Genealogies, Subjectivities’ organized by Department of English, North Bengal University in 2010.
- She presented a paper at the All India Students’ Seminar ‘Changing Worlds/ Changing Words: Literature and Literary Studies’ under the ASIHSS Programme, Department of English, held at Jadavpur University, Kolkata in 2008.
She is pursuing her doctoral research on Bengali Women's Essays in the late nineteenth century in Department of English, Bankura University.
|REFRESHERS & ORIENTATION COURSES|
|EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES|
- She gave a special invited lecture on ‘Many Feminisms’ in Department of English, Gour Mahavidyalaya in 2011.
- She was invited to present a special lecture on ‘Begum Rokeya and Sister Nivedita’ by the Center for Women’s Studies at Hiralal Majumdar Memorial College for Women in 2019.
Member of EASAS (European Association of South Asian Studies).
Member of Postcolonial Studies Association of Global South (PSAGS).
She is also currently working as the Reviewer of the journal, Middleflight.
Member of Editorial Board:
Kairos: A Journal of Critical Symposium.
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL GRANTS
She received partial travel grants from Germany to present her research in the International conference ‘Voices of Their Own: South Asian Women’s Writing’, held at Technische Universitat Chemnitz, Germany in 2015.
She was given full funding for an invited paper presentation in the ‘Talk and Silence: Language in Colonial Contexts’ at the American University in Cairo in February, 2018
NO STUDY MATERIALS UPLOADED YET|